GUI

Keith Mastin kmastin-PzQIwG9Jn9VAFePFGvp55w at public.gmane.org
Sat Nov 29 21:19:02 UTC 2003

<snip>
>> As opposed to toeing IBM's line?  You (intentionly or unintentionally)
>> forget that "the bad guy" back then was not Microsoft; rather, it was
>> IBM and Mac, both of which tried their best to squeeze every penny from
>> the users.  It was Microsoft who gave out Windows for "free".
>>
>> Windows/DOS is owned by Microsoft, and it can do whatever it wants with
>> it.  This includes
>>     - putting bugs, incompatibilies, features, and additions.
>>     - setting price of software, support, etc.
>>     - ...
>> As sole legal owner of Windows/DOS, Bill Gates does not require your
>> approval or blessing in the running of his commerce.  It's his right to
>> make money, and it's his right to lose money.  Microsoft has no duty or
>> obligation to you or to make your life easier.  Maybe you should've
>> attended the last NewbieTLUG presentation.
>>

> When a company has such control of the market, as MS does, and puts
> barriers up that make it virtually impossible for a competitor to enter,
> that's called restraint of trade.  IBM, on the other hand, not only
> allowed MS to sell DOS to others, it also published the BIOS, which
> allowed others, such as Compaq to build competing systems.  And with the
> main frame systems, where IBM tried to remain proprietary, while
> certainly the dominant company, they were by no means the only one
> making main frames.  You could go to Univac or GE or ...  Further, even
> back in the 60's there was a line of IBM "clones".  These were mil spec
> systems built by Collins (now part of Rockwell).  While the hardware was
> completely different, they were software compatible with the IBM 360.  I
> used to support them, when they were used as part of the Air Canada
> reservation system.

IBM never ever called me to first request a list of all customers I have
build machines without their software, and then threatened me with court
action if I did not comply. M$ tried rattling my tree a couple years back
using these tactics. I would say that was quite an invasive attempt at
market dominance, and I have no idea on how many other companies have been
similarily threatened and (gulp) responded to the request by providing the
info.

What really scares me is that BeechTree is essentailly a one-man show. I
would think that they should have been targetting bigger fish than I.

--
Keith