Intel (was Re:GUI)

William Park opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org
Sat Nov 29 21:24:04 UTC 2003

On Sat, Nov 29, 2003 at 03:55:53PM -0500, Henry Spencer wrote:
> On Sat, 29 Nov 2003, William Park wrote:
> > It's quite amusing to see all these cheap shots directed at
> > Microsoft, while leaving the hardware players (ie. Intel, IBM)
> > alone.  Whether it's OS/2, Windows, DOS, or Linux, they're all
> > running on Intel CPU.
>
> Speak for yourself.  Here they're running on AMD CPUs, plus a few
> other flavors.  (There are two or three Intel CPUs around, but they're
> all in machines that I got secondhand at bargain prices, and hence
> wasn't choosy about.)

This is borderline amateurish.  Intel gets royalty, for every AMD sold.
This is no different from IBM getting residual royalty for whatever
patents that they have on IC, BIOS, resistor, capacitor, Surface-mount
technology, PCB tech, etc.  You may buy motherboard made in Taiwan, but
they had to licence from someone because they didn't do the fundamental
research themselves.

Before Linux, there was Coherent (I bought a copy).  But, they decided
to shoot themselves in the head.  Live and let die, as they say.

--
William Park, Open Geometry Consulting, <opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org>