GUI

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sat Nov 29 20:27:18 UTC 2003

Lennart Sorensen wrote:

> Lack of backwards compatibility with DOS applications was probably the
> biggest issue with OS/2, which meant there was lots of reason not to
> switch for people, and hence no reason for anyone to develop
> applications for OS/2 since no one was switching.  By the time 386
> protected mode came around and was supported in OS/2 and could actually
> run a decent number of DOS programs, win 3.0 had already taken off.

????

Where on earth did you dig up that?  DOS support in OS/2 2.0 and later
was and is excellent.  I never came across a DOS program that wouldn't
work in it, though some required adjustment of settings.  The DOS
problems were in the early days of OS/2 1.x, when MS was developing it.
  When IBM took control at v 1.3, it was a much better product.  One
might assume that MS had deliberately crippled it.