GUI

Taavi Burns taavi-LbuTpDkqzNzXI80/IeQp7B2eb7JE58TQ at public.gmane.org
Sat Nov 29 17:02:53 UTC 2003

On Fri, Nov 28, 2003 at 08:25:43PM -0500, Tim Writer wrote:
> > I believe that everyone referring to OS/2 being wonderful post 1995 would be
> > referring to OS/2 Warp 3 (or one of its variants).  In a move totally unlike
> > anything M$ has ever done, Warp 3 took less RAM and ran faster than OS/2 2.x.
> > (I think it did use more disk, though)
>
> Well, I was dumb enough to buy that too based on recommendations of some
> colleagues.  Again, nice to look at but not terribly useful because it didn't
> come with a host of free applications like Linux.  At the time, I was making

At the time I didn't have all that much I needed to do that OS/2 couldn't.
I was never really into downloading hordes of shareware/freeware, and as
I was on dialup things did take a while to get.  Running Word 6.0 in
Win-OS/2 mode was lots of fun.  I appreciated the archetecural superiority
of OS/2.  When it ran out of disk for the print spool, it popped up a nice
little dialog box and asked if I wanted to open a shell so that I could
correct the situation.  It had to do this twice for me.  It was seamless.
All I could think of is how Windows (3.1) would have just crashed and
burnt if it ran out of disk.

I had only recently really begun coding C outside of DOS real-mode.  I do
believe I'd found DJGPP, and barely discovered EMX...and then this whole
Win95 thing happened, followed very shortly by my nearly total conversion
to Linux.  (the past few years have been filled with Linux, *BSD, and OSX
joy)

> my living as an independent consultant and programmer working with a variety
> of UNIX platforms.

It absolutley makes sense to not be using OS/2 in that context.  :)

> In that context, the Linux development environment was
> much more useful than anything (free or otherwise) I could get for OS/2 (or
> Windows for that matter).

For sure.  Develop *NIX on *NIX(ish).

--
taa