GUI

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Sat Nov 29 16:28:12 UTC 2003

On Thu, Nov 27, 2003 at 06:05:25PM -0500, James Knott wrote:
> Windows???  Original???  Don't you recall the lawsuit, when they
> imitated the Mac desktop?  GUIs didn't even originate with Apple.  They
> were invented at Xerox, which Apple then borrowed for the Mac.
>
> As far as desktops go, the best by far is the workplace shell in OS/2.
> There's not another desktop that comes anywhere near it's capabilities.

All I remember was ow OS/2 felt like it was assembled by hundreds of
independant teams that didn't talk to each other. Related options where
spread all over in different tabbed windows in no sensible order.  What
a mess.  And from what I read about people trying to write multimedia
apps for OS/2 it was horrible to develop on.  Of course I never tried to
write any programs for OS/2.  I prefered Linux at the time I met OS/2.
I still do.

Lennart Sorensen