GUI

Byron Desnoyers Winmill lists-Gb8Tj4xcA4YgsBAKwltoeQ at public.gmane.org
Sat Nov 29 06:24:20 UTC 2003

On Fri, Nov 28, 2003 at 10:38:05PM -0500, Anton Markov wrote:
> The only condition is that you must become an exclusive Honda dealer.

I will disagree with this point for a single reason: people should not
have the right to sign away their rights.  Many laws support this notion,
primarily because one party can exploit the needs and desires of another
(eg. the Tenant Protection Act).

> I would blame if this happened, are the uneducated consumers who buy
> the products.

I agree, the consumer is to blame for not educating themself.  I will also
point out that there are entire industries devoted to misleading
consumers, and keeping them uneducated (eg. advertising, lawyers).

> It does not (or should not) guarantee that there is a choice for
> everyone that is equally fair.

It may not be able to guarantee that the choice exists, but it should
guarantee that somebody can present those choices -- without facing undue
discrimination.

> Bill Gates donates more to charities each month than everyone on this
> list will probably donate to in 10 years.

Some people have a hard time seeing Microsoft as a charitable company.
IIRC, it didn't make a major charitable contribution until the mid-90's,
Some dontations were parts of settlements, and the value of certain
contributions (eg. software) don't reflect the cost to Microsoft.

Byron.