GUI

Byron Q. Desnoyers Winmill lists-Gb8Tj4xcA4YgsBAKwltoeQ at public.gmane.org
Thu Nov 27 16:33:27 UTC 2003

On Thu, 27 Nov 2003, Lance F. Squire wrote:
> > Don't really wanna hear about those lesser "windows managers"
> > whatevers. I'm looking for state-of-the-art GUI paradise.

It is worth pointing out that neither KDE or Gnome are window managers.

As for what to choose: look at the applications available for
Gnome/gtk+ and KDE/qt, decide upon what you really want, then choose
the corresponding desktop manager.  If you can, stick to applications
which run under that desktop manager.  That should give you the most
consistency.

That is, if you mean user friendly by "state-of-the-art GUI paradise."
If you want innovation, then look at the "lesser window managers."
There are a lot of people with good ideas, who aren't heard in Gnome's
and KDE's attempt to emulate the "industry standard."

> Unfrotunatly for many people this becomes a religous war simular to:
> Vi vs. Emacs (I use Pico :) )

I think that vi and emacs users can agree on something.  ;)  But yes,
Gnome vs. KDE will degrade into a religious war ...

Byron.