samba

Terry Tanski ttanski-iRg7kjdsKiH3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org
Thu Nov 27 00:46:49 UTC 2003

On Wed, 26 Nov 2003, Keith Mastin wrote:

> I have a small home network w/ 3 computers hooked up at the moment. 2
> redhat-7.3 machines and the other is Windoh$ XP-Pro. I decided to give
> SWAT a go to see what changes have been made since I last tried it. I
> won't be doing that again anytime soon. Samba won't work. I uninstalled
> all 4 samba -related apps and reinstalled only samba, samba-client and
> samba-common (no swat).
>
> When I stop or restart samba, here is the result:
> [root-82/87xFww9o at public.gmane.org root]# service smb restart
> Shutting down SMB services:                                [  OK  ]
> Shutting down NMB services: /etc/init.d/smb: kill: (3516) - No such process
>                                                            [  OK  ]
> Starting SMB services:                                     [  OK  ]
> Starting NMB services:                                     [  OK  ]
>
> The netbios thingy is dying on the vine, and reinstalling it won't fix the
> problem so it has to be related to something else.

OK, first stop Samba. The 'no such process' may not be a fatal thing ...
it could just mean that nmbd failed in becoming part of a workgroup and
exited.

Second, check the config file. It could be that the smb.conf file SWAT
created is invalid so you should run 'testparm /etc/samba/smb.conf'. If
it complains, fix the problems manually using 'man smb.conf' as your
friend. If it is OK, then you should check the logfiles. RH7.3 places
all Samba logfiles in /var/log/samba. Logs with nmb in the name will
tell you stuff about nmbd, the NB name server. Logs with smb in the name
will tell you stuff about smbd, the samba server including attempted
connects and stuff.

Start there and if you can't get anywhere, post some of the logs and
global section of smb.conf and we will see if we can help. SWAT is a
great tool and usually creates a workable smb.conf but every piece of
software can have hidden bugs :-)

Terry

--

  Terry Tanski, B.Sc.               Phone: (416) 863-2126
  Canada NewsWire Ltd.              Fax: (416) 863-4825