Debian Updates

CLIFFORD ILKAY clifford_ilkay-biY6FKoJMRdBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Wed Nov 26 23:15:04 UTC 2003

At 14:59 26/11/2003 -0500, Keith Mastin wrote:
[snip]
>I will admit that maybe you have a point if you can show me a gui that can
>configure _every_ aspect of a program to the same degree of certainty that
>the command line can. Samba has about a thousand or so options. How many
>of these are configurable in SWAT or WebMin?

Hi Keith,

I met John Terpstra, one of the founders of the Samba Project, a few years
ago at a conference and was chatting with him about how much fun Samba
configuration can be. He said that SWAT is a definitive configuration tool
for Samba and that is was designed to create optimized smb.conf files. He
said most people who tweak smb.conf manually, end up creating something
that is less than optimal. He gave an example of a Samba server with a huge
number of workstations authenticating against Samba and how by using SWAT,
they managed to overcome the performance issues simply because there were
fewer lines in smb.conf afterwards. If John Terpstra says it is so, I would
be inclined to believe him.

Regards,

Clifford Ilkay
Dinamis Corporation