Toronto FreeNet massive trouble: where to go now?

Stan Witkowski Stan-PAleLrdANoqY+5vIsb+96wC/G2K4zDHf at public.gmane.org
Tue Nov 25 22:04:21 UTC 2003

>Can some kind soul recommend a good DSL ISP, preferably from personal
>experience?

See:   www.istop.com

I have friends using Istop's services for business and also for personal
use, and all report good experiences.
Also - Ralph Doncaster (Istop's owner) posts in the can.internet.highspeed
newsgroup from time to time - how many ISP owners do that?

Aside: Actually, now that I think of it, VERY few people working at ANY ISP
        interact in local newsgroups (or local anything).
        I find that curious - if I owned an ISP, I'd jump right in and
        politely mention my products and services
        in a friendly way every time. That SLIGHT extra pro-active note
        could mean more $$$ for me.

Ralph's (as he has posted) target customer is the more astute technical one.
That's likely a polite way of saying that Istop would prefer that their
customers actually *DO* know their collective asses from holes in the ground,
so such forums as these (newsgroups, mailing lists, etc.) would seem
to me to be great places for companies like Istop to step up and speak up in.

Not in-your-face "BUY-BUY-at Honest Ed's" complete with flashing lights,
but low key   "this is what we can do for you, and at this price"
kind of stuff.

Aside: I remember a garage sale we had once on a side street.
        Only a handful of customers came (nearby homes) upon opening.
        Then I went out to the two main roads and put up day-glo pink
        "YARD SALE >>>" signs along with day-glo pink  ">>>>>" reminders
        on every block up to the sale. Within *10 MINUTES*
        of those signs over 30 cars stopped at our table, and then they
        just kept on coming!
        We made several hundred $$$ that morning selling off old junk.

        THAT taught me more about about marketing and advertising
        in one shot than a couple of decades of computer work did!!!

Stan.