mandrake 1st (c)lick

Austin aacton-B71PBEe7S7Y at public.gmane.org
Tue Nov 25 15:44:26 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2003-11-25 at 10:04, Lloyd D Budd wrote:
> So rite after installing SUSE instead of Mandrake, I (re)discovered that
> SUSE is not a "sponsor" of Gnome (http://foundation.gnome.org).  Yes, I
> know that you can run Gnome very well on it -- but it still matters to
> me.

Cool!  Nice to see GNOME supporters one in a while.  GO GNOME! (2.4 of
course)

> With Mandrake, I did not see an option to net install, or add internet
> "sources".  Has anyone else found it unnecessarily difficult to figure
> out how to 'addmedia' during or after the install?

It's in the menu: Configuration - Packaging - Software Media Manager
Or you can use urpmi directly... see the man page.

> The install was very fast, unfortunately it seems that most of what I
> want is not on the 1st CD.  The result is that only IceWM (and probably
> a couple other lite WM) is installed, and my web browser is currently
> lynx.

Well, there are 3 CDs, so only low-level stuff goes on CD1.

> Ok, so I want to add the software.  Configuration -> Packaging ->
> "Mandrake Update" -> nope, but I should update the packages that are
> installed.  Do I really have to manually select each one?

What do you mean 'update'?  Mandrake does not provide updates to stable
releases unless they are severe security fixes.  If you have the
security updates configured, just
# urpmi --auto-select
will upgrade them all.

> Is there no automatic "mirrorselect"?

Yes, there is.  It's called urpmi.setup.  Paradoxically, you need the
source setup properly to install it so that you can setup the source
properly.  Fun, isn't it.  Just download the RPM and install it instead.

> Any one have any Mandrake specific notes / links to pass along?

The wiki is very helpful:
http://qa.mandrakesoft.com/wiki

> SUSE's boot up also seems "cleaner".  For one, there is the option to
> have only a progress bar.

Mandrake would be the same had you used all three CDs.  Bootsplash is
obviously not on CD1.

Austin
--
                                 Austin Acton
        Synthetic Organic Chemist, Teaching Assistant, Ph.D. Candidate