Linux Scanners

Michael Galea mgalea-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org
Tue Nov 25 02:36:48 UTC 2003

On November 16, 2003 03:55 pm, John Moniz wrote:
> This subject comes up once in a while, but since developments happen
> quickly, I'd like to ask again.
>
> I'm intending on treating myself to a scanner soon, but one that is good
> for photo/film/slide scanning. I'd like to pick a brand that is very
> Linux friendly, not just a model that is on the USB list. Which company
> would be good to support? Is Epson as good with scanners as it is with
> printers? I had a look at an Epson Perfection 1670 Photo scanner that
> might fit my requirements, although it looks almost too inexpensive. Is
> Canon still a PITA?  Any scanner suggestions would be welcome?
>
> Thanks,
>
> John.

I picked up the 1670 this weekend at costco.  I was a bit dismayed to learn
that it was one the few Epson scanners not supported under the epson backend.
After pulling down and building the latest backends I had no problems getting
it running under the snapscan backend.
I am quite happy with it, despite the fact that I had to fire up windows to
unpack the cabs and get the scanners download file..