subtracting value in Gnumeric

cbbrowne-HInyCGIudOg at public.gmane.org cbbrowne-HInyCGIudOg at public.gmane.org
Mon Nov 24 21:20:43 UTC 2003

> Chris Aitken wrote:
>
> > Does anyone know the formula to subtract the values of one
> > cell from another in Gnumeric?
> >
> > I know how to add a contiguous group of cells:
> >
> > =sum(B2:B30)
> > # then I hit the arrow button to activate the formula.
>
> I actually figured it out myself. Just substitute the : with
> -
>
> > What is it to subtract one cell value from another. To subtract
> > the value at B10 from B3, should I expect something like..?
> >
> > =difference(B10-B3)
>
> =sum(B3-B10)
>
> That did it. I'm a grade 10 math flunky so I
> didn't think my inbtuition would count, but it did.
> Subtracting is just adding, where one number is
> negative.
>
> Or should I just take my working formaula and
> quit while I'm ahead?

You're trying *way* too hard on this.

=B3-B10
should do the trick.

[Abstruse explanation...]

There isn't a "difference" function, and it sort of doesn't make sense
that there would be one, either.

The problem is that subtraction is a "dyadic" operation, not a "monadic"
one; it always requires that you have _two_ values.  If you have other
than 2 values, confusion arises.

If you have 3 values inside the "difference" function, what gets
subtracted from what?  What if there are 7 values?  Realistically, you
almost certainly don't want that sort of mix.
--
let name="aa454" and tld="freenet.carleton.ca" in String.concat "@" [name;tld];;
http://cbbrowne.com/info/spreadsheets.html