IBM Linux Video, going OT...

JoeHill joehill-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Mon Nov 24 11:05:03 UTC 2003

On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 23:03:37 -0500
cbbrowne-HInyCGIudOg at public.gmane.org wrote:

> No, the principle, called "absolute depravity," has, as thesis, the
> notion that we are deeply tainted by wrong.  We're not all doing what
> the Adolph Hitlers of history did, but the fact that such grossly wrong
> things keep happening, over and over again, shows that there is some
> "seed of great wrong" to which people keep being vulnerable.

You should read Eric Raymond's essay on that topic, very enlightening, though
I guess in my case he was "preaching to the converted". Hobbes had it backwards.
People are what people are, the circumstances to which they are subjected push
them to do "evil" (notice I said "push" not "force"...there's no *perfect
conspiracy*, which is why Orwell is interesting but wrong).

http://catb.org/~esr/writings/killer-myth.html

I think Camus did a big book on this topic too, though the title escapes me for
the moment...need more caffiene :-)

--
JoeHill
Registered Linux user #282046