Do I need sgi_fam?

jkls jkls-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Sun Nov 23 17:25:06 UTC 2003

I am running Debian woody 3.0r1. I am not running X.
I want to run samba, NFS, apache and sshd at least
as far as servers go.

When I type rpcinfo -p I see that sgi_fam is running.
(SGI file access monitor)
I am not running gdm etc. because I'm not using X.
Do I need this service (ie for nfs or sthg)
and if not where can I turn it off?
I am not running xinetd which I understand sometimes
enables it. I hav tried "grep -inr /etc" to see if it's listed in
some conf file somewhere-which it is not.
A small point but I have wasted quite some time on it.

Regards,
LS