IBM Linux Video

Max Blanco blanco-S8qYAnHmZTt34ZA5RureAJ4VBq8PJc8F at public.gmane.org
Fri Nov 21 03:16:19 UTC 2003

On Thu, 20 Nov 2003, Byron Sonne wrote:

> > Unfortunately, with the recent collapse of software development as a viable
> > career choice there soon won't be enough experienced developers left (outside
> > of those employed by the big boys - IBM, HP, SGI, Novell) to keep the
> > developer diversity that Linux needs to thrive.
>
> I think that's a bit harsh, although it could very well be true.
> Software as an industry hasn't been around long enough, in my opinion,
> to determine if it is subject to any cycles peculiar to it so collapse
> might be premature.

That depends on when (whether?) the sheeple clue in to the fact that their
tax dollars funnel into large behemoths that change languages and/or OSes
like underwear when they need to make their bottom line fatter.

Examples are Y2K and C++, not to mention anything microsoft sells.

I compare this industry to cigarettes: a drag, then poof, it's gone.

> In fact, one could argue the less corporate interest and money being
> pumped into linux, the better. The less american money in any case.

Yeah, that's why I avoided postfix: IBM=hal.