IBM Linux Video

Byron Sonne blsonne-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Fri Nov 21 02:44:45 UTC 2003

> Unfortunately, with the recent collapse of software development as a viable
> career choice there soon won't be enough experienced developers left (outside
> of those employed by the big boys - IBM, HP, SGI, Novell) to keep the
> developer diversity that Linux needs to thrive.

I think that's a bit harsh, although it could very well be true.
Software as an industry hasn't been around long enough, in my opinion,
to determine if it is subject to any cycles peculiar to it so collapse
might be premature.

I think what we're really seeing is the commoditization of IT and
software rather than a collapse. Software development is still a viable
career choice, and I think it still will be for the forseeable future.
The question is whether it will be for the kind of things you want to do
and the kind of environment that you want to do it in.

Otherwise, if people are only in it for the money and will drop linux
when the dollars are gone, then fuck 'em and let 'em eat shit. If it's
really important to them, then they'll do it at home, on their own time,
for the love of it and to help out mankind and no other reason. Which is
a more noble ideal anyways. I'd rather work at Starbucks and have a
modest living coding for linux than be rich and code for BillyG and his
cabal of vermin.

In fact, one could argue the less corporate interest and money being
pumped into linux, the better. The less american money in any case.

--

	For good, return good. For evil, return justice.