IBM Linux Video

JoeHill joehill-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Thu Nov 20 17:04:51 UTC 2003

On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 11:48:03 -0500
"Sidney Shapiro" <sidney-3Kd7Tu4o6f/sBN0MCq728g at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> When I first saw it, from when it said Linux until it mentioned IBM, I
> was wondering who in the open source community can afford this kind of
> coverage to spread the word?

Well, don't get me wrong, but I'm not one who puts a lot of trust in the
corporate giants like IBM. I think they are making a smart business move,
supporting Linux as a means to an end, not because they are all converts of
Richard Stallman. If it benefits the Linux "community", then great, but in the
end it's just business, and it's never a smart move to expect a company like IBM
to always act in the best interests of that community.

It certainly is nice to have a behemoth in your corner, but watch out if that
behemoth decides he no longer has any use for the "little guys".

Anyway, it's a great ad, for what it's worth, and, like I say, I wish I was
there when McBride and Ballmer 1st saw it ;-)

--
JoeHill
Registered Linux user #282046