courier=qmail=Maildir ; pine=mbox - now I get it! postfix = ?

Max Blanco blanco-S8qYAnHmZTt34ZA5RureAJ4VBq8PJc8F at public.gmane.org
Wed Nov 19 14:05:44 UTC 2003

Fraser/All,

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003, Fraser Campbell wrote:

> There are different formats formats for mail storage.  Maildir storage
> involves several subdirectories and every email being stored in an individual
> file.   The more traditional mail format is mbox where all email is stored in
> one file.  There are advantages and disadvantages to either storage format.
>
> courier and qmail mail servers use Maildir by default, other MTAs are capable
> of storing in Maildir either directly or through cooperation with procmail.

Thanks for this info!  It would seem to be crucial for a debian newbie
like me.  I don't remember the distro dselect notes saying anything like
this.

> > I think all's well, except for the "Maildir" incompatibility with pine.
> >
> > Now if only I could fix that...
>
> AFAIK pine needs a patch to be compatible with maildir.  Just go back to mutt

With the hassles (Byron and I) went through just to compile pine, I'd
rather not patch.

> it's a better mail reader anyway ;-)  In /etc/Muttrc there are a few
> parameters to tweak so that mutt will default to ~/Maildir/ ... mbox_type is
> one and spool_file (or similar) is another.  "man mutt", seach for Maildir,
> and you should be able to figure it out.

I have a series of handmade tools built around pine/mbox.
No way I'd give those up.

I need a mailer that will give me mbox and /var/spool/mail/$user
functionality.

Any suggestions?

cheers,
max.