sendmail/courier setup, incompatibility with pine

Max Blanco blanco-S8qYAnHmZTt34ZA5RureAJ4VBq8PJc8F at public.gmane.org
Wed Nov 19 04:00:19 UTC 2003

Hi Fraser/All,

We're getting closer... thanks to Fraser... see below.

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003, Fraser Campbell wrote:

> Where does it go?
>
> Try:
>
>   echo test | mail max
>
> That should send an email to the user max on your machine.  Check:

OK, I had courier installed, not sendmail.  Sendmail was a leftove binary,
I think.  Anyhow, your test worked.  It sets up a file called "~/Maildir"
and dumps the text in there, but I did a "pine -F Maildir" and the mail
was not in a pine-readable format.

> - does the mail command complain (then sendmail is probably very
screwed up)
> - check the maillog (tail -f /var/log/mail.info), what does it say?

I think all's well, except for the "Maildir" incompatibility with pine.

Now if only I could fix that...

> No ideas without more information.  FWIW I much prefer postfix and the debian
> postfix package offers some pretty easy to follow dialogs when you install it
> that should get it working just fine.  Still I'd rather see you figure out
> the issue first since it may not be related to sendmail at all.

Yeah, I'm too close with my setup as it is, but 2-3 more days of banging
my head against a wall, and I'll be trying postfix.

cheers,
max.