sendmail + mutt (debian) setup question

Max Blanco blanco-S8qYAnHmZTt34ZA5RureAJ4VBq8PJc8F at public.gmane.org
Wed Nov 19 02:03:59 UTC 2003

Hi Teodor/Byron/All,

I tried and failed to compile pine4.58 on my ppc box.  The compiler threw
some errors like this ppc differs from standard linux in one or two
headers.  Obviously, if you send a pointer somewhere it shouldn't be, you
get a segmentation fault... which is what I got.

> Check if sendmail is listening on 127.0.0.1 (since you need local delivery
> only):
>
> Try a simple:
>
> 	telnet localhost 25
>
> If sendmail is indeed listening, you should get:
>
> Trying 127.0.0.1...
> Connected to localhost.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> 220 localhost.localdomain ESMTP Sendmail 8.12.8/8.12.8; Tue, 18 Nov 2003 19:32:22 -0500

This worked.  How do I get it to identify itself?
Connected to localhost.localdomain
Escape character is '^]'.
220 johannes ESMTP

> It does go somewhere. Check the following:
>
> a) /var/log/maillog
> This is the place where you will get information on delivery, queuing and
> so forth. Do a 'tail -20 /var/log/maillog'

Hmmm... I see lots of "courierd" and "courierlocal" stuff.
It can't find "maildir.open".

Why are there so many MTAs?
What is the easiest one to setup?
Looks like I have had exim once upon a time...
Plus sendmail is in /usr/bin.
Sheesh.

> b) /var/spool/mqueue
> This is where your queued mail should be.

That directory does not exist.
/var/mail does exist.
/var/spool/mail does too.
Unfortunately, both are empty.

> If you created aliases, check who it is going to under /etc/aliases.
> If you changed the aliases file, you need to run newaliases.

I never touched this file.  All accounts are piped to root.

> > Any ideas?  I'm not particularly tied to either mutt or sendmail, so if
> > some other combination can do the job with no hassle, I'll try it.

I'd like to clean up my mail and remove any trace of additional MTAs, but
first I need to know which MTA I will use.

TIA,
max.