Strange how sending mail out via a email client works, but SquirrelMail gets the CNAME error

Teddy Mills teddymills-VFlxZYho3OA at public.gmane.org
Tue Nov 18 07:46:18 UTC 2003

After being attacked by someone in Asia I had to increase security.
Permissions, passwords, accounts, iptables everything. system-wide.

Now everything still works ok, but i cannot send mail out via SquirrelMail.
I enabled only ports 22,25,53,80,110,143 and disabled all other ports, pings
and
other /proc kernel variables.

I think its DNS related since I cannot do a dig or nslookup of any remote
domains.
I get a CNAME lookup error in my logs.

However internet works fine, browsing etc.

If this gets to the TLUG list, then i know my smtp out is okay, but
SquirrelMail is still messed up.

***********************************
Strange how sending mail out via a email client works, but SquirrelMail gets
the CNAME error.
SquirrelMail is sending out on 143 IMAPS and was working correctly before
the iptables changes.

I'll post the firewall iptables file after i edit it.

teddy mills
http://www.vger.ca

Mad Magazine VGER directives...
To collect...all that is collectable. To sell...all that is saleable.To
merchandise...all that is merchandisable.