R: Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES

Keith Mastin kmastin-PzQIwG9Jn9VAFePFGvp55w at public.gmane.org
Mon Nov 17 02:56:13 UTC 2003

> Thanks all, I learned that Amazon.ca do carry Red Hat Enterprise Linux
> Es 2.1 (CAD $ 1100+). I am looking for Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES
> which can only be purchased directly from RH and I am going to buy
> from Red Hat.
>
> Next how does this work:
>
> "Red Hat's Enterprise Linux family of operating systems is available on a
> per-system, annual subscription basis."
>
> After the one year of subscription expired, the OS will be out-dated,
> right?

No. You just won't be able to get any support or updated rpms for it.
Expect the RH rpms to deviate from the standards we've seen in the future
for marketing purposes (speculation). You can keep the same OS with
support for up to 5 years if you want to dole out the $$ for it.

Personally, I don't see any advantage that Redhat might have over Debian
or FreeBSD, especially in the area of software management, which this will
ultimately turn out to be all about.

> By dropping the Red Hat v9
<snip>
> qualified admins by doing so.
>
> This is very discouraging from Red Hat by removing the non-enterprise
> OS from their shelf and forcing to buy Enterprise version at least for
> average home users.

...to use redhat. When all this licensing bs started there was no mention
of fedora, and my guess it was put out to keep the support of the OSS
community. Anything else might be as fatally stupid for Redhat as the SCO
fiasco will be for those guys.

If the price of using redhat doesn't scare you, might I suggest that you
use Debian (or any other freely available OSS distro) and donate the money
that you would have spent on Redhat to an OSS outfit that can put it to
better use?
--
Keith