Basic DSL

Keith Mastin kmastin-PzQIwG9Jn9VAFePFGvp55w at public.gmane.org
Mon Nov 17 02:33:07 UTC 2003

> I am new to Linux and am trying to get my Sympatico DSL Basic Service
> working.
>
> I would like to completly rid myself of any connection to Microsoft.
>
> I have 2 D-Link DE-528s.
>
> Linux recogognizes both of these I think. During install it asked me
> about them.
>
> One of them is connected to an Efficeint Networks Speedstream 5200 which
> is connected to my phone line.
>
> It shows up in windows as "Efficeint Networks Ethernet P.P.P.o.E.
> Adaptor"
>
> I honestly have no idea how to start.
>
> Can someone help me?

For starters, search for your basic problem in google. adsl linux would be
a good place to start. You can also do searches for howto's, which seem to
be a *nix thing, so you're bound to have some luck there. adsl linux
howto.

There is a program that's easy to setup and use called the roaring penguin
adsl client, found at roaringpenguin.com. Download, install and run
adsl-setup then fill in the blanks. The start and stop commands are
adsl-start and adsl-stop. There may be a gui for configuring it, but I'm
unaware of them.

Out of curiosity, what distro did you pick for your first linux install?

--
Keith