R: Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES

login-Zd07PnzKK1IAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org login-Zd07PnzKK1IAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun Nov 16 18:25:50 UTC 2003

Thanks all, I learned that Amazon.ca do carry Red Hat Enterprise Linux
Es 2.1 (CAD $ 1100+). I am looking for Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES
which can only be purchased directly from RH and I am going to buy
from Red Hat.

Next how does this work:

"Red Hat's Enterprise Linux family of operating systems is available on a
per-system, annual subscription basis."

After the one year of subscription expired, the OS will be out-dated,
right?

By dropping the Red Hat v9 (https://www.redhat.com/software/rhelorfedora/),
Red Hat want to work with Enterprise level only. What will happen to home
end users? The choice Red Hat is giving to go with Enterprise Linux family else
forget it. This was same sort of Sun's behavior in term of pricing for their
Intel version so that on average user can not afford to buy it (OS).
When Sun removed this constrain and went on ease on licensing, many people learned
Solaris on their Intel box. Eventually, Sun gets more qualified admins
by doing so.

This is very discouraging from Red Hat by removing the non-enterprise
OS from their shelf and forcing to buy Enterprise version at least for
average home users.

S. Mohammad [ login-Zd07PnzKK1IAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org]
Who Do You Want to Buy Today?