GUI

Terrence Enger tenger-ew0EfhANLmVEfu+5ix1nRw at public.gmane.org
Sat Nov 15 20:24:19 UTC 2003

At 14:22 2003-11-15 -0500, you wrote:
> Terrence Enger wrote:
>
> > At 12:50 2003-11-15 -0500, you wrote:
> >

> > > Linux GUIs like RAM. How much RAM do you have?
> > >

> > 256 MB.  Response time is not bad.
> >
> > Terry.
> >

> Did you go with Slackware 9.1 ? kernel 2.6test5 and all ?
> Might that have something to do with the peppy response time ? hmmm ?
> djp

No, stayed with slackware 9.0.  It already has XFree86 4.3.0.

The response is not really peppy, just good enough for me.
Actually, I do not expect actually to use the GUI very much.
The immediate motivation for installing it was the
possibility of some paying work which seemed to "recede into
the distance" when I told caller that I was using Linux
exclusively from the command line.  Of course, there are
some things that I cannot do from the command line: viewing
.pdf or .dvi files and so forth.  I am now one step closer
to being able do all my work through Linux.

Meanwhile, the combination of middle-aged eyes, a small
elderly monitor, and a dislike of fumbling for the mouse all
suggest that I will be using the command line for quite a
while.

That brings up another thought, though.  Since my first
question on Thursday, I read something somewhere suggesting
that I can run a GUI and still have access to the text
consoles via F1, F2, et cetera.  I do not seem to be able to
do this using Slackware 9.0, XFree86 4.3.0 and KDE 3.1.  Now
that I know I get the GUI running, I wish I had paid more
attention to the fine points.  Any suggestions?

Terry.