linux = impossible? (no offense meant!)

Byron Desnoyers Winmill lists-Gb8Tj4xcA4YgsBAKwltoeQ at public.gmane.org
Fri Nov 14 21:22:04 UTC 2003

On Fri, Nov 14, 2003 at 03:25:10PM -0500, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> Use a backport of a newer X, or backport it yourself.

Backport?  If you mean package XFree86 4.3.99 for woody, I don't feel like
mucking around with the package manager any further.  I've already
recompiled LAM, because the version in woody is broken; squeak, xephem,
and xv because they are not part of the distribution (I thought non-free
software was supposed to go in non-free, but apparently not); and kegs,
because that is the one thing where I must have the latest and greatest.
Eventually, mol will be compiled because the version in woody doesn't
match the kernel in woody.  It most certainly doesn't match the kernel
I am using now.

These applications aren't exactly complex (except, maybe, mol), yet the
package manager simply cannot handle it.  It seems as though you are left
to fend for yourself if you leave the beaten path.

> Power management is unfortunately not very mature on Linux, probably
> since most developers don't use Laptops, or so I imagine. :)

My problem has something to do with the Nvidia chip.  It sounds like
PowerBook users with ATI chips are fine as far as power management goes.

Byron.