honeypots

gbell72 gbell72-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Fri Nov 14 17:04:44 UTC 2003

Lately I've been doing some research on honeypots, I've come across a vast
amount of information on them but am presently unsure on how to go about
deploying one.  As I say I'm only doing this for research purposes but would
like to witness one in action first hand.
How difficult would it be to set one or two up, and how would they best be
deployed to emulate an ftp and webserver?  These two services I am presently
running.  Would one honeypot do the job?  And how would I go about strategically
placing them.
I've read that low-level honeypots rarely fool an attacker.  I realize it's
mostly organizations that utilize high-level ones.  What type of honeypot would
best fit a 5 system network.  My network consists of 3 linux systems and a win
xp pro system.
Any tips or advice greatly appreciated.

Gardner