Toronto Municipal Open Source Revolution, anyone ?

jim.rootham-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org jim.rootham-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Thu Nov 13 19:59:03 UTC 2003

I am very interested in this proposal.

I have almost 30 years of experience in both computers and politics,
in particular, Toronto city politics.  Olivia Chow and Joe Pantalone
know who I am.

There are a few things to say off the bat.

First, IT is politically sensitive right now because of the MFP scandal.

Second, there is no way this happens without a large credible support
organization.  IBM is the obvious example, Novell and Red Hat are possibles.
In fact, having multiple qualified bidders on support contracts would greatly
enhance credibility.

Finding out the current state of the world is a requirement.

I will ask Olivia about who at the city would be willing and able to tell us
about what the current thinking is about open source at City Hall.

Jim Rootham

PS

At 7:51 AM -0500 11/13/03, JoeHill wrote:
>I promise no anarcho communist stuff, really I do. LOL!

That should be anarcho-syndicalist, shouldn't it? :)