OT: Get out there and vote!

Tim Writer tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Thu Nov 13 01:52:37 UTC 2003

Fraser Campbell <fraser-Txk5XLRqZ6CsTnJN9+BGXg at public.gmane.org> writes:

> On November 11, 2003 03:32 pm, Tim Writer wrote:
>
> > I'm willing to be corrected but, AFAIK, you don't have to be a Canadian
> > citizen to vote in a municipal election, just a resident.
>
> Consider yourself corrected ;-)
>
> http://www.toronto.ca/vote2003/faq.htm#who

Interesting.  I assumed you didn't need to be a citizen because, even though
I've yet to find my way onto the municipal voting list, I've never been asked
for proof of citizenship.  For example, on Monday I just showed them my
driver's licence.  Also, the form they ask you to sign, certifying the
information you've given is correct, etc., doesn't say anything about
citizenship.

While I realize it's important to make the voting process as easy as
possible, the current systems seems a bit too open to abuse.

--
tim writer <tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org>                                  starnix inc.
905.771.0017 ext. 225                           thornhill, ontario, canada