thin clients

Marcus Brubaker marcus.brubaker-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Wed Nov 12 23:29:30 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-11-12 at 14:19, David J Patrick wrote:
> Robert Brockway wrote:
>
> >We'd need to tailor it towards the point of view of a city council.
> >Details examples of other cities and governments that have implemented OSS
> >solutions (there are plenty).  I'm a fan of thinclient and know that
> >cities in the US and (I believe also) Europe have successfully setup
> >thinclient to all or most of their desktops.
> >

> Absolutely ! The use of thin client solution should represent HUGE
> savings in both hardware and system adminstration, while freeing
> government employees from being chained to ONE desktop machine.
>     Which mega corp is it (Sun ? IBM ?) that is using thin client with
> passcards to enable client mobility ?

Sun is doing this right now in their own offices.  McNeally was talking
about it in an interview recently.

Remember to give thin clients (or any tech for that matter, no matter
how cool) a good analysis for each situation though.  They make sense in
some settings, but definitely not in others and pushing the wrong tech
for a job is a sure way to end up with bad results either way.
Basically, for each office ask how much client mobility is really worth
vs how much it may (or may not) cost.

It's tempting to throw all OSS solutions and neat new technologies into
a proposal like this, but doing so is not the way to get a good, sound,
manageable system in the end and doing so could hurt your chances of
being taken seriously.

--
Marcus Brubaker <marcus.brubaker-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org>