Toronto Municipal Open Source Revolution, anyone ?

David J Patrick davidjpatrick-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Wed Nov 12 19:06:54 UTC 2003

Byron Desnoyers Winmill wrote:

>If I may suggest: it may be appropriate to target your efforts on specific
>functions or departments.  The needs of a city are so diverse that it is
>absurd to suggest that they can just convert to Linux and save money.

    I agree ! The subject is complex. The cities usage is diverse but
perhapt we might develop an overview and thereby propose the most
realistic and effective moves.

>It may also be more productive to ask the city to be more accessible
>online services.  This would benefit the users of alternative operating
>systems, who are stuck with older machines, have disabilities.

    I agree with you here, as well. Luckily linux is a star on the server.

>(I don't
>know about you, but I couldn't access election results from the city
>website.  Are other online services that bad?)  Besides, with more
>accessible online services, chances are the city would be better
>prepared for the transition to Linux (I'm imagining the whole thing
>ending up as a disaster because various departments cannot communicate
>with each other).

    On the contrary, If use of open standards are promoted, and
application is server-based (non-platform specific) it should enhance
interoperability. Open file formats alone would greatly improve
immediate and long-term interdepartmental communication.

>If you go with the latter approach, please keep me in the loop.

Byron.

but you ARE in the loop ;-)
djp