Toronto Municipal Open Source Revolution, anyone ?

Byron Desnoyers Winmill lists-Gb8Tj4xcA4YgsBAKwltoeQ at public.gmane.org
Wed Nov 12 18:52:28 UTC 2003

If I may suggest: it may be appropriate to target your efforts on specific
functions or departments.  The needs of a city are so diverse that it is
absurd to suggest that they can just convert to Linux and save money.

It may also be more productive to ask the city to be more accessible
online services.  This would benefit the users of alternative operating
systems, who are stuck with older machines, have disabilities.  (I don't
know about you, but I couldn't access election results from the city
website.  Are other online services that bad?)  Besides, with more
accessible online services, chances are the city would be better
prepared for the transition to Linux (I'm imagining the whole thing
ending up as a disaster because various departments cannot communicate
with each other).

If you go with the latter approach, please keep me in the loop.

Byron.