Toronto Municipal Open Source Revolution, anyone ?

David J Patrick davidjpatrick-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Wed Nov 12 17:57:35 UTC 2003

    We have a new Mayor. Rumour has it that he uses linux. Whether or
not that is the true, the time is ripe for a shakeup of municipal
software usage. Who would spearhead such a move ?
    Oh..I donno.. the Toronto Lunux Users Group ?
    Mayoral candidate John Tory suggested that he could save seven
million tomorrow simply by getting Microsoft to refund license fees that
the previous Mayor (Mel) had over purchased. Apparently Mel bought
ordered twice the licenses actually required. I suggest that Mel
overspent by more like 90%. Why just return unused licenses, when open
source solutions are ready to go.
    Here's what I propose;
If the consensus, here at the LUG, is that Toronto is ready for open
source (and vice versa)
    Lets;
- set up a wikki, where we can collect our thoughts, arguments, links
and suggestions.
- find out where the thin edge of the wedge might best be placed, within
the Miller government.
- set up a special meeting/ presentation to pitch the idea and
demonstrate software candidates. (and let's not repeat the Globe & Mail
software installation fiasco; hide the pocket protectors and
propeller-beenies, OK ?)
    If we can get our collective stuff together and sway the new
Municipal government to go open source, we will save our city millions,
make our city more open and secure, and set a big example, with Canada's
largest city.
    whatdya say ?