Regarding UserLinux, let's stop slagging Red Hat!

JoeHill joehill-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Wed Nov 12 10:25:32 UTC 2003

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 22:05:13 -0500
Marcus Brubaker <marcus.brubaker-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org> uttered:

> Basically, he thinks the brand-new whiz-bang hardware support is
> lacking.  Can you really fault him much on that?  Sure, Linux supports
> all the legacy hardware and more, but if you go out and by a webcam at
> random, what are the odds of it working out of the box?  Hell, I just
> recently bought a new LCD monitor and while it wasn't hard to setup I
> don't imagine that a regular home user could've done it on their own.
> A*monitor* people.

But that's exactly *because* of MS's monopoly on the home desktop. If
more people were using Linux at home, and buying the latest hardware,
and demanding that the hardware vendors support their Linux OS, then we
would see a very different situation. Hardware vendors have for too long
been in the thrall of MS, bowing and scraping to have their hardware
supported. Once they realize there's money to be made from home Linux
users, watch the drivers and support start to fly. Until now, Linux has
had to scrape by on its own, reverse-engineering here, hacking there,
because the hardware vendors either:

a) couldn't give a rat's ass about Linux because of the thinking of
people like RH's CEO.

or

b) because they've been bullied by MS into supporting only Windows.

--
JoeHill
Registered Linux user #282046