OT: Get out there and vote!

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Tue Nov 11 22:11:59 UTC 2003

Drew Hamilton wrote:
> Continuing the off-topic thread, was anyone else upset by the way that the
> vote was handled?  I had the following issues with my polling place:
>
> 1)  I didn't have to prove that I was a Canadian citizen before they
>     let me add myself to the list of eligible electors.  All that they
>     cared about was that I lived in the building that the polling place
>     was.  I'd estimate that over 50% of my building's tenants are not
>     Canadian citizens, so that was probably an important thing to check.

I was asked for proof of identity.  Is Canadian citizenship required for
local elections?

> 2)  When they were searching for my name on the elector list, they told me
>     which of my neighbours were on the list

Years ago, they used to post voters lists in public areas.  It's public
info.

> 3)  After I filled in the voting sheet, I had to hand it back to the
>     electoral staff member, who looked it over before putting it in the
>     computer.  What right does he have to know how I voted?

That was wrong.  When I handed in my ballot, in the security folder, the
clerk placed the ballot face down on the machine, which then withdrew
the ballot from the folder.  The marked side was never visible and the
folder was held in place for the time necessary for the machine to
swallow the ballot.  There was very little opportunity for the clerk to
even see the back side of the ballot.