OT: Get out there and vote!

Max Blanco blanco-S8qYAnHmZTt34ZA5RureAJ4VBq8PJc8F at public.gmane.org
Tue Nov 11 21:06:04 UTC 2003

On 11 Nov 2003, Tim Writer wrote:

> The issues I have are:
>
>     o   How long does it take to get on the voting list?  I've been resident
>         in Toronto since 1987 and am still not on the list.  Another woman at
>         the polling station has been here for 50 years and isn't on the
>         list!
>
>     o   How long does it take to get off the list?  5 people who are no
>         longer at my address (and haven't been for more than 5 years) are
>         still on the list.

Two good questions.  Does the Chief Electoral Officer, who I'm told is the
head of the civil service (Privy Council for Ontario), have obligations
under the act, and if so, can you send him a letter with the request that
names be deleted or added?

What is the mechanism under the act?

>     o   What's with the stupid arrows?

That's likely to be an artefact of the counting machines...

>     o   Who makes the counting machines?  Is the software available for
>         public scrutiny?

VERY good question.  Why not use the tried and true hand count system?
Why introduce a machine which only the elite few who understand the
intricacies of a particular computer language can access?
Why introduce a machine between the people and their democracy?

No good can come of this system.