OT: Get out there and vote!

Max Blanco blanco-S8qYAnHmZTt34ZA5RureAJ4VBq8PJc8F at public.gmane.org
Tue Nov 11 19:53:54 UTC 2003

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003, Drew Hamilton wrote:

> Continuing the off-topic thread, was anyone else upset by the way that the
> vote was handled?  I had the following issues with my polling place:
>
> 1)  I didn't have to prove that I was a Canadian citizen before they
>     let me add myself to the list of eligible electors.  All that they
>     cared about was that I lived in the building that the polling place
>     was.  I'd estimate that over 50% of my building's tenants are not
>     Canadian citizens, so that was probably an important thing to check.

I think that the element of trust is a legacy of the British system.
Thank God for the British, I think; otherwise I think that we would have a
police state with National ID cards like the type that I think Federal
Immigration Minister Denis Coderre wants to implement.  I think that he is
not your friend.

Should your name not be on the voter's list, I think that you are required
to take an oath to the effect that you are who you say you are and a
qualified elector.  I think that you are liable to penalty of perjury if
you are not qualified.  I think that this involves a prison sentence.

> 2)  When they were searching for my name on the elector list, they told me
>     which of my neighbours were on the list

I think that the voters' list is open to public scrutiny, as I think
that it should be.

> 3)  After I filled in the voting sheet, I had to hand it back to the
>     electoral staff member, who looked it over before putting it in the
>     computer.  What right does he have to know how I voted?

I think that may be a violation of secrecy; I think that maybe you should
have been given a folder in which to place your ballot.  I think that
maybe the clerk should have fed the ballot face down into the machine; I
think that maybe s/he should not have had the opportunity to read your
ballot.

Read <http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/DBLaws/Statutes/English/96m32_e.htm>.

BTW, IANAL.