All across Toronto..

Keith Mastin kmastin-PzQIwG9Jn9VAFePFGvp55w at public.gmane.org
Tue Nov 11 18:10:43 UTC 2003

> On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 11:34:59 -0500 (EST)
> "Keith Mastin" <kmastin-PzQIwG9Jn9VAFePFGvp55w at public.gmane.org> uttered:
>
>> watch the eyes glaze
>
> I find their eyes pop back open, *way* open, when you mention that
> Linux, for all intents and purposes, has no need for anti-virus software
> that cost(s) them 50 bucks, and requires daily updates (and then doesn't
> work).

I learned real quick that a lot of the general public becomes untrusting
if I tell them that AV is unnecessary, so now I tell them that it's built
in and runs in the background automagically so they don't even need to
know it's there. I was asked to show it once, so a quick tail -f
/var/log/httpd/access_log and those eyes glazed just a little deeper...
sometimes the truth is just a little too much to handle all at once. :)

> "How can that be?!"
>
> Depending on the person, it also helps to tell them they will be putting
> the screws to a *big corporation*, but maybe that's just the people I
> hang out with ;-)

You do realize that OSS is no longer the little fish in the pond, don't
you? Although there is no corporation, OSS is outpacing proprietary
software in so many ways. I can use most programs on Linux, *BSD and any
other number of ports (if I used any other ports), rather than being
limited to one choice (which is no choice). I read somewhere that there
are now an estimated 500,000 people developing OSS, which leaves ANY
corporate development team at a loss. We already have MSCE converts asking
why certain things can't be done on an M$ system that we take for granted
at a server level, and soon, maybe in a year or 2, the average desktop
user will be asking the same questions (although everyone already loves
the multiple desktops and shells we get with GNOME and KDE).

The beauty is that we are NOT screwing M$, they are screwing themselves.
All we are doing, IMHO, is refusing to be their victims.

--
Keith