All across Toronto..

JoeHill joehill-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Tue Nov 11 11:39:13 UTC 2003

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 09:40:19 -0500 (EST)
Robert Brockway <robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org> uttered:

> Anyway, I stopped doing computer fixes for free.  Not because I am
> uncharitable (in actuality I have given thousands of hours to
> volunteer efforts and charities) but because it sets computing apart.
> I don't ask my mechanic friends to fix the car for free, and I don't
> ask my doctor friends to give me free medical advice but for some
> reason many people think computer skills, developed over a period of
> many years, should be given away for free.  If the skills aren't worth
> anything then why do they need us so much?

Well, it's semi-official, I've incorporated my own little biz to do just
these kinds of things, so maybe sometime once I'm all set up you guys
can just tell your friends to contact me... ;-)

Please, not yet, though, I don't even know how much I'm charging, nor do
I even have a PST or GST registration with RevCan, and all that funky
business stuff. I think I should have a business plan, before I have a
business, no?

One thing I want to do though, as part of this "business", is to
ever-so-gently promote the switch away from Windows, though in some ways
I guess that's shooting myself in the foot!

--
JoeHill
Registered Linux user #282046