All across Toronto -- fixing Windows

Robert Brockway robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org
Tue Nov 11 02:04:42 UTC 2003

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003, Fraser Campbell wrote:

> I offered to fix it by installing Linux on her existing computer but she was
> so convinced that the computer was too slow that she insisted on getting a
> new computer.  I insisted that I would only help her if she ran Linux and let
> me buy quality hardware.  She's been running Debian for quite a while now
> (not sure if it's been 1 year or 2) and never calls with questions, another
> bonus is that she no longer emails me viruses anymore.

Before leaving Australia I setup a Linux box for my mother to email me &
hit the web if she wishes.  She was completely computer illiterate but has
had no problems following the instructions I gave her.  I used fvwm2 as
the window manager & locked the menu down to only the functions she would
be using.  I ssh in from Canada to do security updates and can remotely
admin the box as needed (add new menu items if needed, etc).  Far far
easier than trying to get her to learn Win98.

Cheers,
	Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc. email: robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org, zzbrock at uqconnect.net