OT: Get out there and vote!

Byron Sonne blsonne-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Mon Nov 10 20:25:49 UTC 2003

> I suppose it's possible for a politician to have some redeeming
> qualities

Understandably so, but at the municipal level politics are significantly
different, and IMHO, a lot more pragmatic since they aren't so many
levels removed from the nitty-gritty of how the city, and
people/businesses, work. But people are people...

Mind you the mayor is only one vote on council and has little or no
additional real power if he does not have the backing of council.
Collectively speaking your councillor (sp?) is of more actual value as
there are more of them, but everybody must indeed play their part.

What makes this particular mayoral and council election so important
(and I'm skipping over school trustee as I don't know much about that
right now) is that in local politics around here it's rare that the
incumbent *does not* win. This time, there is *no* incumbent, which
means we are effectively electing someone who will, in all probability,
be in power for the next 10-15 years.

Things (i.e. more specifically people and parties) have changed, or will
soon, on all levels of government in this country and we have an
excellent opportunity to make this a better place to live.

I could mention who I'm voting for, but I would like people, at the very
least, to read everything from everyone relevant to their location and
act with wisdom. Knowledge is power and as much as I think democracy is
effectively tyranny of the majority, I can't think of a more functional
system.

Regards,
Byron

--

	For good, return good. For evil, return justice.