dos to unix CR/LF conversion?

Scott Allen scotta-cpI+UMyWUv9BDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Mon Nov 10 11:41:22 UTC 2003

On Sun Nov 09,2003 08:28:19 PM James Knott wrote:
> Several years ago, I used to work on a system based on a Data General
> Nova 800.  In the monitor program, the command to copy a file was:
>
> $XFER source_file>dest_file
>
> The command to delete a file was:
>
> $XFER source_file>
>
> This meant that accidently hitting the Enter key too soon, would
> result in deleting a file you intended to copy!

Well, *nix can be almost as bad. If you intend to copy files 'a' and
'b' into directory 'dir', you can enter:

cp a b dir

But, if you accidentally press Enter before entering dir, file 'a' will
be copied as file 'b', essentially deleting the original file 'b'.
(Yes, I know that you can set up an alias so that you will be prompted
about overwrites).

--
** Scott Allen   scotta-cpI+UMyWUv9BDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org **
**     Toronto, Ontario, Canada     **