Word .DOC viewer for Mozilla

Peter L. Peres plp-ysDPMY98cNQDDBjDh4tngg at public.gmane.org
Sat Nov 8 22:14:12 UTC 2003

On Sat, 8 Nov 2003, Justin Zygmont wrote:

> Interesting, I always knew MS went to great lengths to do things like
> this.  So this means that opening a word 2000 .doc file won't show up
> properly with say word 97?  then why can't a recent version of OO read a
> word 2000 .doc file?

I don't know what you know, but I just recently went through some
acrobatics to make a table formatted in W97 (?) look right in XP and later
in OO. Both changes required me to practically rewrite the table (on four
columns in 4 different markup types). When I stopped puking after this I
printed the table and it came out skewed (from XP). So I dropped
everything else and made it work in OO only and there it stands.
Incidentally OO old version vs. OO new version do not have this problem.
Anything beyond basic paragraph formatting in Word before 97 can look
really ugly in Word/XP. Otoh groff text composed in 1995 typesets
perfectly till now ;-). So do tables in tex ;-) ;-) ;-)

Peter