dos to unix CR/LF conversion?

Henry Spencer henry-lqW1N6Cllo0sV2N9l4h3zg at public.gmane.org
Sun Nov 9 16:35:41 UTC 2003

On Sun, 9 Nov 2003, James Knott wrote:
> > Unix end-of-line is ASCII LF = linefeed = newline = \n = \012 = ^J.  ...
>
> You should indicate you're using octal for \012.

The backslash-digits notation is always octal.  However, I should have
mentioned that, for the benefit of newcomers.

> ...It's straight counting.  ^A is 1, ^B is 2 etc.

Actually, it is more or less an accident that ^A is 1.  (You forgot that
^@ is 0.)  It *is* a straight count after that.

> > ... ^R is an obscure device-control character, and neither
> > of those is involved at all.
>
> Again with the old mechanical devices, it was often used to control the
> tape punch, though that was not the only use.  According to my trusty
> ASCII and Baudot card, from back in my tech days, it was called Device
> Control 2 (DC2).

It was DC1 and DC3 that usually controlled the tape hardware, at least on
the equipment I used.  But there may have been other variations.

                                                          Henry Spencer
                                                       henry-lqW1N6Cllo0sV2N9l4h3zg at public.gmane.org