Word .DOC viewer for Mozilla

James McIntosh jemcinto-cpI+UMyWUv+w5LPnMra/2Q at public.gmane.org
Sat Nov 8 18:03:53 UTC 2003

At 01:44 PM 11/8/03 -0500,  Justin Zygmont <jzygmont-tEQKYFGiemxAYG7eUwYNkWD2FQJk+8+b at public.gmane.org>
wrote:

>So this means that opening a word 2000 .doc file won't show up properly
with say word 97?

If I remember correctly, Microsoft generally refers to Word 2000 and Word
97 as having the same format of DOC file.

Word 97 may be able to open Word 2000 documents - I don't know.

Word 6 (part of Office 4.2 and 4.3 for Windows 3.1) cannot open Word 2000
DOC files at all.

Word 6 is so incapable of opening Word 2000 files that it might as well be
reading EXE (executable binary code) files.

If you tell Word 2000 to create a RTF (Rich Text Format) file, then Word 6
can open that, but Word 6 mangles the Word 2000 formatting badly.

Microsoft Word 2000 and Word 6 can't even communicate properly by using the
RTF format files.

I don't think that this is a devious conspiracy, but, instead, an extreme
combination of incompetence, laziness and indifference to needs of customers.

JEM, Agincourt, Scarborough, Toronto, Ontario