linux = impossible? (no offense meant!)

ln @post.com linuxnewbie-pCGr9Sw2R8Y at public.gmane.org
Sat Nov 8 22:24:00 UTC 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: JoeHill <joehill-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org>
Date: Sat, 8 Nov 2003 10:47:44 -0500
To: tlug-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org
Subject: Re: [TLUG]: linux = impossible?  (no offense meant!)

On Sat, 08 Nov 2003 10:19:15 -0500
"ln @post.com" <linuxnewbie-pCGr9Sw2R8Y at public.gmane.org>
 uttered:

> Thought you would all get a chuckle (I hope) from this e-mail my
> teenage (grade 12) son sent me.  Obviously he has a love-hate
> relationship with linux.
>
> But, on the serious side, WHY is it so difficult to install
anything
> on linux?  Can't we make installing software as easy as it is on
> Windows?

That's a very common first impression with Linux, "why can't I
just
click on this thing and it works...?"

It's really *not* that difficult, it's just a different process than
most people are used to, so the perception is that it is more
difficult...

Re: ...there is room for improvement, but Linux software
Re: installation, even with distros that have excellent package management
Re: like Debian or Mandrake, is always going to be different, and for very
Re: *good* reasons, in regards to security and stability just to name a
Re: couple. Personally, I downloaded the amsn RPM package (latest), and
Re: from a root console (something newbs may or may not have to get used to
Re: at some point, in most cases, esp with teenagers, it actually makes them
Re: feel like a "l33t h4x0r") I typed "urpmi amsn [tab] [enter]" and there I
Re: was. I was actually surprised that someone had not added an amsn package
Re: to contribs or something...
Re:
Re: What distribution was this software install happening on anyway?

Joe - My son installed it on a Red Hat 8 box.  Btb, I'll also pass your kind words along to him
-Peter

Re:
Re: --
Re: JoeHill
Re: Registered Linux user #282046
Re: Homepage: www.orderinchaos.org
Re: So little time, so little to do.
Re: 		-- Oscar Levant
Re: --
Re: The Toronto Linux Users Group.      Meetings: http://tlug.ss.org
Re: TLUG requests: Linux topics, No HTML, wrap text below 80 columns
Re: How to UNSUBSCRIBE: http://tlug.ss.org/subscribe.shtml

http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup

Search Smarter - get the new eXact Search Bar for free!
http://www.exactsearchbar.com/