Time for a new Linux

Byron Sonne blsonne-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Thu Nov 6 19:30:41 UTC 2003

> I also know many, many very satisfied SuSE users.  Though didn't they
> 'dump' the consumer (desktop) market some time ago?

Maybe in north america, but north america != world.

> My reason for only
> dealing with it when I have to, which is actually quite a bit, is its
> closed source pkg management system.  For me to choose a closed source
> solution, I have to find a very good reason.

I'm not sure what you mean by closed source package management system.
It's all rpm based, you could work your package management via nothing
but an xterm if you wanted to.

> Do you mean to say that it is not made by some sloppy German company?
> Or what are you trying to say here?  -- is it worth saying?

I'm biased (probably more accurate to say a bigot) here, I've found euro
(German and Scandinavian in particular) coders on the whole to be much
tighter and cleaner when it comes to coding or putting stuff together.
Whether 16 colour C64 demos or KDE. Yanks, on the other hand, seem to be
alot more profit driven with a "yeah, it's almost ok and we need to get
to market asap to make money" kind of deal.

--

	For good, return good. For evil, return justice.