news URLs

Lloyd D Budd lloyd-fEEwcc3XMu8jODpR/OX0VQ at public.gmane.org
Thu Nov 6 16:29:12 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2003-11-04 at 20:05, Stephen Allen wrote:
> lloyd-fEEwcc3XMu8jODpR/OX0VQ at public.gmane.org wrote:

> >>BTW, I don't think you mentioned if you mind news url's posted here or
> >>not...?
> >
> > http://article.gmane.org/gmane.org.user-groups.linux.tolug/2888
>
> Thanks, my 'find' on my local spool, works fine to. :)
>
> You didn't mention, urls of news items, I had checked before I asked...
> you didn't exclude, it though. No matter, it not a big issue, it appears most
> don't seem to mind news urls being posted. :))

I tried to mention it, but obviously I chose the wrong key words ;-)  In
my post that I reference above, I list MLP as a small 'annoyance'. The
term originates from kuro5hin:

MLP - this section is called "Mindless Link Propagation". It is for
those really short articles that are barely a paragraph or two where the
whole concept is to "follow a link" to somewhere else. Do NOT post bare
links, at least write a short bit about why following this link would be
interesting. It is basically pointing out that someone else's article is
cool/worthy and that we should follow your link to learn more.
(http://www.kuro5hin.org/?op=special;page=article#kind)
((There is a more susinct definition at everything2.com, but e2 is
currently offline.))

Specifically the sentence, "Do NOT post bare links, at least write a
short bit about why following this link would be interesting." seems
appropriate from TLUG as well.  In fact, regardless of how ineloquently
I, Emir, and others  have pursued this topic, what appears to be the
effect in the quality of some of the postings is appreciated!

I appreciate all aspects of TLUG, and do often rely on it for some of my
news.  In fact, I have been trying to only pull information lately, with
the exception of TLUG and newscan, because I have always found there are
just too many interesting things going on out there.  It gets worse the
more you know.  If I keep up with everything I am interested in, I do
not apply any of the knowledge, or said another way, I get nothing done.

Cheers,
Lloyd