IT Job creations... IT job losses?

JoeHill joehill-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Thu Nov 6 13:08:48 UTC 2003

On Thu, 6 Nov 2003 00:51:38 -0500
Walter Dnes <waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org> uttered:

>  Question... how many Apache security fixes have there been in the
>  last 3 years versus IIS ?  Postfix, Exim, and Sendmail combined
>  versus MS
> Exchange ?  Pine/Elm/Mutt etc., etc., versus Outhouse Excuse ?
> Mozilla(and derivatives thereof) versus Internet Explorer ?

I realize yours is a rhetorical question (well done, BTW), but
*exactement!* I update my server religiously, though why someone would
want to hack my pitiful site I have no idea, and I've had to
update/patch Apache only 3 times in the last several months. Keeping in
mind that these were for *non* trivial exploits, as opposed to the
*unbelievably* trivial exploits for IIS, patches for IIS that cover
multiple and egregious (one of my fav words, you may have noticed)
vulnerabilities come out *almost daily*.

I really pity any admin trying to keep up with the barrage of patches
that must be applied to MS systems just to stay one step *behind* the
hackers, never mind actually getting ahead of them, since MS doesn't
usually even acknowledge a vulnerability exists until it's far too late.

BTW, I realize this qualifies as an "I agree" post, but I just couldn't
hold back! LOL!

--
JoeHill
Registered Linux user #282046